by Alice Lyons
Today’s beautiful, colourful #MeatfreeMonday dish comes from ‘The Mother Cooker.’ These Mexican breakfast pancakes are the perfect addition to your repertoire of Sunday brunch recipes.
Makes 9. Prep time: 6 mins Cook time: 9 mins
- 200g of flour
- 200ml of milk
- 2 spring onions
- Handful of coriander
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Good sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- Half a tsp of baking soda
- 1 egg (for serving)
- 1 Avocado (for serving)
- Handful of cheese (for serving)
- Handful of coriander (to garnish)
- 1 chilli (to garnish)
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, baking soda and paprika in a bowl.
- Chop coriander and spring onions finely.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites, (keep egg whites for later.) This stage is completely optional, it just makes the pancakes a little fluffier. You can simply add the eggs as is if you wish.
- Add milk and egg yolks to dry mix, whisky and then add chopped coriander and onions, fold in with egg whites.
- Leave mixture to stand whilst you heat your skillet/frying pan.
- Add a knob of butter or oil, rub in to pan with kitchen towel. I do this to distribute the oil evenly, I repeat the process every few pancakes. It helps to stop burning.
- Once pan is hot, using a ladle, spoon in half a ladle at a time slowly.
- Leave to cook for 30 seconds on each side until golden. I look for bubbling before I flip.
- To keep your pancakes warm, after each one, wrap inside a clean tea towel, adding as you go.
- 1 large tomato
- Half a red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 chillies
- Half a red pepper
- Juice of half a lime
- Generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Few sprigs of coriander
- Chop onion and tomato roughly.
- Add together with all of ingredients in to a blender.
- Whiz for a few seconds, you don’t want it too smooth.
- Chop avocado, grate cheese, chop chilli.
- Fry or poach your egg, if splitting the stack between a few, make a few eggs.
- Stack pancakes with ingredients how you wish, top with egg, sprinkle on some chilli and coriander.