by Alice Lyons
Today’s #MeatFreeMonday recipe is from a little known chef called Jamie Oliver. This stilton and sprouting broccoli frittata is perfect for throwing together before a picnic. Now all you need is the weather.
200g purple sprouting broccoli
Extra virgin olive oil
½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
6 large free-range eggs
50 g Stilton or other blue cheese
1 knob of unsalted butter
25 g pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas 7.
- Cut off the broccoli florets, slicing up the stalks. Blanch the broccoli stalks in boiling salted water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drain.
- Toss with the florets in a little oil, then griddle over a high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until charred and nearly tender. Leave to cool in a bowl, drizzling over a little more oil.
- Pick the parsley leaves and set aside, then finely chop the stalks. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, season with sea salt and black pepper, then stir in the parsley stalks and broccoli. Crumble in the Stilton, then add a good grating of Parmesan and mix again.
- Melt the butter with a splash of oil in a 20cm ovenproof pan over a medium heat. Pour in the egg mix, quickly stir a few times to let the egg settle, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it starts to set.
- Pop the pan in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the frittata is puffed up, nicely golden and completely set.
- To make the salad, toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over a medium heat, or until golden all over, moving them frequently. Place in a serving bowl with the parsley leaves, then toss in a splash of oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Take your gorgeous frittata out of the oven and serve with the salad.