#MeatfreeMonday – Roasted Aubergine
by Sarah Preece
Roasted aubergine is completely delicious and across the middle east it’s used to create great accompaniments to a main course or served alone with fresh breads. This recipe is so simple and completely worth it.
- 1 aubergine
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ – 1 fresh green chilli
- ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4. Pierce the aubergine a couple of times with a knife, then roast for 45 minutes until blackened, softened and collapsing. Leave to cool.
- Peel and crush the garlic, deseed and finely chop the chilli and pick and finely chop the parsley.
- Scoop the cooled insides from the aubergine into a food processor. Blitz with the garlic, chilli, oil, a good squeeze of lemon juice, the parsley and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, oil and lemon as needed. Place in a dish and sprinkle with paprika. Serve with flatbreads.