We are hiring a Workshop Operations Manager
by Nicky Spear
Sustainable Kitchens, previously known as It Woodwork was established in 2010. It’s an independent kitchen design and installation company, working with clients across the Southwest and further afield. The company has been growing from strength to strength and has expanded rapidly in the past year and now has a unique opportunity for the right candidate to make their mark.
About the role
The successful new Operations Manager will manage and lead a team of people, allocate workload and manage the day-to-day operations in a busy workshop.
We are looking for a highly organized and visionary individual who will actively grow and improve our team. They will assist the directors in a transition from small to medium size business.
This role requires a candidate who is comfortable in the workshop environment, has the technical skills and knowledge to produce beautiful handcrafted products and is highly organised. You will be able to manage a team effectively and complete projects on time. You will be working closely with our Designer, Head of Development, Installations Manager and Director, whilst also managing team members across production, painting and assembly. There is a lot to juggle at any given time and we need someone who can keep calm under pressure and create efficient workflow and a good working atmosphere.
- Responsible for job allocation and job flow in the workshop including job scheduling and labour allocation for day to day operations.
- Improve efficiency to increase profitability of the business.
- Assist with project management, materials purchasing and quality checks.
- Manage inward goods, checking quantities, dispatching goods and receipting invoices.
- Regularly report progress on each job and quickly communicate delays or concerns with the main office.
- Report on manpower overruns or shortfalls.
- Act as a technical adviser on key projects and other areas of the business as requested.
- Implement and use project management tools.
- Receive and review feedback from customers and installation team and follow up to ensure improved practices and customer satisfaction.
- Implement new shift work pattern in response to increased workload
- Manage stock taking and ordering of stock
- Working with suppliers
- Workshop Spatial Planning
- Use of social media; Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to regularly report on progress in the workshop
- Responsible for recruitment of the workshop staff in order to create a strong and productive team.
- Development of a staffing skills matrix and integrating with agreed company pay scales
- Close collaboration with head maker to ensure ongoing training of new staff .
- Conducting regular staff meetings including review and development meetings and daily production meetings
- Setting goals, measuring performance and rewarding success
- Conducting staff appraisals and producing development plans.
- Identify staff that require on-going training and implement training opportunities to ensure their skills are improved.
- Provide feedback to staff that are not performing to the expected level to ensure targets are always met.
- Team building activities.
- Promote and manage a Health and Safety culture within the business.
- Be required to undertake a variety of skilled or semi-skilled workshop tasks as required to promote healthy workflow.
- Collaborate closely with the Installations Director on the technical aspects of a project, ensuring good lines of communication are maintained between workshop and installation teams.
Working with other departments
- Support solid communication lines across all areas of the business.
- Support the practical implementation of future development plans
- Work with the Head of Development to identify key areas to improve & change.
- Work with the Head of Development to implement news systems & process that improve workflow and productivity.
- Work with the Managing Director & Head of Development to identify timelines on growth & expansion.
- Work with the Managing Directors to identify key periods or projects aspects that could cause issues and identify solutions.
- Work with all departments to make sure project planning runs smoothly & effectively.
- To work well under pressure, responding to incoming challenges with positive solutions
- High level joinery experience, 5 years minimum
- Ability to work with people at various levels from shop floor to senior management
- Project management experience
- People management skills
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
- Quality and productivity focused
- CAD drawing skills are an advantage
- Sketchup Pro & Layout Knowledge
- Architectural drawings (Electrical & Plumbing plans)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent delegation skills
- Excellent planning skills
- Highly organized
- Team Player
- Enjoys challenges
- Enjoys working in a fast paced environment
Salary: £22,000 – £30,000 (dependent on experience) per annum.
Working week: 8.30am – 5pm, Monday – Friday (Full- time position)
Holiday: 20 days holiday, not including bank holidays.
Other Details: On-site parking,
See More at: http://www.sustainablekitchens.co.uk
Is this role right for you?
Working for small startup company’s means that you have to use your initiative and problem solve frequently. It requires a hands on approach to tasks and you have to be able to juggle tasks whilst working in a fast paced environment. It requires you to be proactive and innovative with your solutions. Make sure this sounds like an environment that suits you.
Apply to this role by sending a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Monday the 29th of June
Interviews: Will be held at the beginning of July
Start Date: July/ August (dependant of notice period)