by Alice Lyons
Today’s #MeatfreeMonday recipe is Black Bean Green Chilli Enchiladas with vegan jalapeño cream sauce, courtesy of Rene at This Savoury Vegan. Perfectly creamy with a little bit of heat and a great option for those who don’t like vegan cheese.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
FOR THE JALAPEÑO CREAM SAUCE
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 red onion roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
1 1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 jalapeño roughly chopped
8 oz vegan cream cheese
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/4 – 1/2 cup water
FOR THE ENCHILADA FILLING
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 red onion diced
1 clove garlic diced
1.5 tsp cumin
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 cup green enchilada sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 jalapeño cream sauce recipe
FOR THE ENCHILADAS
8 corn tortillas
1 cup green enchilada sauce
1/4 jalapeño cream sauce recipe
Cilantro to taste
FOR THE JALAPEÑO CREAM SAUCE:
- Place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until onions begins to soften (approx. 5-7 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Add jalapeño and cream cheese to the pan and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until cream cheese is softened and everything is combined.
- Add the contents of the pan to a blender with cilantro and 1/4 cup of water. Pulse until combined. Add additional water if needed and taste to adjust seasoning.
- Pour into a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
FOR THE ENCHILADA FILLING:
- Place the same pan back on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, cumin, black beans, green chilies, salt and pepper. Saute until onions are soft and translucent (approx. 7-10 minutes), stirring regularly.
- Halfway through cooking the filling, add enchilada sauce to keep mixture from sticking. Once onions are cooked, add 3/4 of the jalapeño cream sauce. Stir to combine. Set filling aside.
FOR THE ENCHILADAS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and steam in the microwave for 30 seconds. This makes the tortillas easier to work with.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce. Fill each tortilla with approx. 1/4 cup of filling and roll up to contain the filling.
- Place each filled tortilla seam side down in the baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and place in the oven for 10-20 minutes. If you make these as soon as the filling is done, it should only take 10 minutes to bake. If you let the filling cool before making the enchiladas it will take closer to 15-20 minutes for them to heat all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and allow enchiladas to cool for 5 minutes. Top with additional cream sauce and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!